The McLook rugby collection

A personal collection that tells the story of Springbok rugby

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > 1982 Tour

Scud

Does anyone have any information on a Five Nations team that toured South Africa in 1982? I seem to remember such a tour; however, I can't find any information on the event. I was wondering how many games they played and if they played the Springboks. I also can't find much on a Pacific rebel team that toured in 1987.

--
August 12, 2013 at 1:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

All Blacks 1996

From memory it was 1983  to celebrate Western Province's Centenary, a two-week World XV rugby tour of South Africa managed by Willie John McBride of Ireland The SARB sent out invitations to its traditional rugby friends, the tour began on 19 Aug 1983. Sadly the team did not play tests.

Stu Wilson, Andy Haden, Bernie Fraser and others represented New Zealand. I think there were up to 6 All Blacks.

see Page 258 More than just rugby: the final chapter by Wynand Claassen,

August 12, 2013 at 4:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

All Blacks 1996

South Sea Barbarians' was a team made up of representatives from Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and one Canadian in 1987, organised in lieu of the cancelled visit by Australia, the SA Barbarians played two matches. No official test matches took place between the teams, however, in contrast to the 1985 and 1986 sides, the 1987 SA Barbarians lineup had a far more distinct Springbok XV feel to it despite some senior players questioning the quality of the opposition. The South Sea tourists were defeated 56-30 at Ellis Park but pushed their hosts considerably closer at Kings Park one week later in a narrower 38-32 loss.

August 12, 2013 at 4:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Scud

Thanks for that. I remember one of those games in 1983 as I think it was shown live in NZ. I'm still adamant that a team representing the Five Nations toured in 1982. The 1987 tour didn't receive any coverage in NZ. Thank you for your input! 

--
August 12, 2013 at 5:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Flourbomber

All Blacks 1996 at August 12, 2013 at 4:43 AM

From memory it was 1983  to celebrate Western Province's Centenary, a two-week World XV rugby tour of South Africa managed by Willie John McBride of Ireland The SARB sent out invitations to its traditional rugby friends, the tour began on 19 Aug 1983. Sadly the team did not play tests.

Stu Wilson, Andy Haden, Bernie Fraser and others represented New Zealand. I think there were up to 6 All Blacks.

see Page 258 More than just rugby: the final chapter by Wynand Claassen,

I think Gary Whetton was one of them too

August 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Scud

Yeah, he was. I think he stuffed his knee up in one of the games and missed the rest of the season; including the All Black tour to England & Scotland later on that year.

I also, seem to have a memory of a World XV playing a game in South Africa about a week before the Cavaliers tour in '86. It may have been for a centenary match against a provincial side. I remember the side contained some Cavaliers players.

--
August 12, 2013 at 8:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

All Blacks 1996

Scud at August 12, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Yeah, he was. I think he stuffed his knee up in one of the games and missed the rest of the season; including the All Black tour to England & Scotland later on that year.

I also, seem to have a memory of a World XV playing a game in South Africa about a week before the Cavaliers tour in '86. It may have been for a centenary match against a provincial side. I remember the side contained some Cavaliers players.

The 1986 Invitation games  a week before the Cavaliers tour were played at Twickenham and Cardiff Arms Park. The 5 Nations played the Southern Hemisphere, and the Lions played the Rest of the World.

Botha, Gerber big Schalk Burger, Haden and Mexted were all playing together for the rest of the world team, they then packed up and went to play the Cavaliers series.

Rest of the World XV

Serge Blanco (France); Patrick Estève (France), Andy Slack (Australia, captain), Michael Lynagh (Australia), John Kirwan (New Zealand); Wayne Smith (New Zealand), Nick Farr-Jones (Australia); Topo Rodriguez (Argentina), Tom Lawton (Australia), Gary Knight (New Zealand), Steve Cutler (Australia), Schalk Burger (South Africa), Murray Shaw ( New Zealand), Simon Poidevin ( Australia), Murray Mexted ( New Zealand)

Overseas XV: 15-R.Gould(AU), 14-J.Kirwan(NZ), 13-D.Gerber(SA), 12-W.Taylor(NZ), 11-C.du Plessis(SA), 10-N.Botha(SA), 9-D.Loveridge(NZ), 8-S.Tuynman(AU), 7-S.Poidevin(AU), 6-M.Shaw(NZ), 5-A.Haden(NZ), 4-S.Cutler(AU), 3-F.van der Merwe(SA), 2-A.Dalton(c-NZ), 1-T.Rodriguez(ARG).

The match was won easily by the Overseas team 32-13. Gerber crossed twice, with Kirwan, du Plessis, Shaw and Rodriguez also adding tries. Botha had an off day with the boot, managing just one conversion plus 2 penalties.

August 13, 2013 at 2:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Flourbomber

All Blacks 1996 at August 12, 2013 at 4:56 AM

South Sea Barbarians' was a team made up of representatives from Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and one Canadian in 1987, organised in lieu of the cancelled visit by Australia, the SA Barbarians played two matches. No official test matches took place between the teams, however, in contrast to the 1985 and 1986 sides, the 1987 SA Barbarians lineup had a far more distinct Springbok XV feel to it despite some senior players questioning the quality of the opposition. The South Sea tourists were defeated 56-30 at Ellis Park but pushed their hosts considerably closer at Kings Park one week later in a narrower 38-32 loss.

Yes - I seem to remember that Fijian ex All Black Arthur Jennings was the manager and wasn't it Lindsey Harris who tried to go along too?

August 13, 2013 at 5:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Flourbomber

That's right - he also said that that tour was some of the best rugby he had ever played - the Rugby News report described him after the game as "emotional".

August 13, 2013 at 5:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Flourbomber

All Blacks 1996 at August 13, 2013 at 2:07 AM

The 1986 Invitation games  a week before the Cavaliers tour were played at Twickenham and Cardiff Arms Park. The 5 Nations played the Southern Hemisphere, and the Lions played the Rest of the World.

Botha, Gerber big Schalk Burger, Haden and Mexted were all playing together for the rest of the world team, they then packed up and went to play the Cavaliers series.

Rest of the World XV

Serge Blanco (France); Patrick Estève (France), Andy Slack (Australia, captain), Michael Lynagh (Australia), John Kirwan (New Zealand); Wayne Smith (New Zealand), Nick Farr-Jones (Australia); Topo Rodriguez (Argentina), Tom Lawton (Australia), Gary Knight (New Zealand), Steve Cutler (Australia), Schalk Burger (South Africa), Murray Shaw ( New Zealand), Simon Poidevin ( Australia), Murray Mexted ( New Zealand)

Overseas XV: 15-R.Gould(AU), 14-J.Kirwan(NZ), 13-D.Gerber(SA), 12-W.Taylor(NZ), 11-C.du Plessis(SA), 10-N.Botha(SA), 9-D.Loveridge(NZ), 8-S.Tuynman(AU), 7-S.Poidevin(AU), 6-M.Shaw(NZ), 5-A.Haden(NZ), 4-S.Cutler(AU), 3-F.van der Merwe(SA), 2-A.Dalton(c-NZ), 1-T.Rodriguez(ARG).

The match was won easily by the Overseas team 32-13. Gerber crossed twice, with Kirwan, du Plessis, Shaw and Rodriguez also adding tries. Botha had an off day with the boot, managing just one conversion plus 2 penalties.

Wasn't that a fund raising for "Live Aid"?

After the game Schalk Burger (I think) would say how astonished he was by all the other players saying how much they wanted to tour SA and play the Boks!

August 13, 2013 at 5:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Scud

A team from the Five Nations toured SA in July of 1982. While the team were from the Five Nations, they played under the name of the SARB Overseas XV. I only know of 2 games they played, but I don't know the results. They played the SA Presidents XV, which was in fact the Springboks and another game was against a WP Presidents XV. If my memory serves me correct, they wore a Harlequins style uniform with the different Five Nation colours. Some players on the tour were: Blanco, Dusty Hare, Jim Renwick, Terry Holmes, Graham Price, Willie Duggan, John Carleton.

--
August 13, 2013 at 8:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Scud

The World XV game played in SA in 1986 was against Transvaal in Johannesburg.  It was played on the 9th of April. Unfortunately I don't remember the result. I still remember reading about it in the paper. I think Frank Shelford (NZ) was named man of the match.

--
August 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

McLook
Site Owner

I was in my second year at varsity playing in the Uni u/20 team. So very involved with rugby at the time but can't remember any of the games mentioned here.

I didn't watch much TV at the time and my saturday's was filled with rugby and Karate (my other sport) so my memory about these matches is contaminated by my own involvement in sport.

I have video material of the Springboks playing against a World XV in 1987 (or 1989 - l'll have to check) but can't remember the 1982 and 1983 matches.

Thanks for the info though  

August 15, 2013 at 3:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Springbok 1974

Flourbomber at August 13, 2013 at 5:43 AM

All Blacks 1996 at August 13, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Rest of the World XV

Wasn't that a fund raising for "Live Aid"?

After the game Schalk Burger (I think) would say how astonished he was by all the other players saying how much they wanted to tour SA and play the Boks!

There was a 5 Nations combined team that played against a Transvaal President's XV at the opening of the "New Ellispark" after some major renovations was made to the stadium in 1982. I am not sure if the touring side played other oposition as well, neither am I sure what the official name was. I am busy searching for that info. I have both teams jerseys in my collection. I am attempting to post a picture here, but it seems futile. :-) 

--

Springbok 1974

December 24, 2015 at 9:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.